Monday, May 14, 2012

Old Film With Modern Message

I received this film bundled with some other footage I acquired recently.  I can find no record of this episode, but it was part of the Screen Magazine series produced by the war department in for distribution the troops.  The film a tribute to the writer and journalist Ernie Pyle, who volunteered as a reporter during the Second World War.  This film must have been produced shortly after Pyle was killed in action in 1945, as the narrator suggests the war was still going on.  I was really taken by this film.  The photography is beautiful, the people appear vivid and natural, and the words and theme are in keeping with Pyle’s personal and compassionate writing about people.  Above all, I thought a forgotten 1945 film that promotes diversity was worth showing.

1 comment: